VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY - MULTI-SECTIONAL NUTRITION ADVISOR - ETHIOPIA
Multi-sectoral Nutrition Advisor - Ethiopia
9 Month | Start Date between Mar - May 2017
Start Date: Mar - May 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement: 9 Months
Language Requirements: English
English Reading: Level 5, Writing: Level 5, Speaking: Level 5
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents only
The Volunteer’s Role
The overall purpose of this placement in Harar is to strengthen the maternal and child nutritional care service provision in East Harrarghe Zone through capacity building and system strengthening in East Harrarghe Zone Government sector offices that are the member of the zonal nutrition coordination committee.
The project has three intermediate objectives:
• Improve nutrition practices and services for women of reproductive age and boys and girls under five years
• Improve nutrition-sensitive practices for women of reproductive age and boys and girls under five years
• Strengthen governance of gender-sensitive nutrition programs and approaches at the Federal, Regional, Zonal and
As a volunteer, you will:
- Conduct institutional nutrition capacity assessment to identify gaps
- Design and implement multi-sectoral nutrition capacity building activities
- Assist the Zonal Nutrition Coordination Committee (NCC) in planning sector specific nutrition related activities
- Support the design and implementation of locally appropriate household dietary diversity strategies and food recipes
- Assist in the design and implementation of local food preservation methods, and use of improved cooking technology
Essential Academic Qualifications:
BSc degree in food science and nutrition, human nutrition, post-harvest handling and food processing or related field
Essential Professional Background:
At least two years’ experience in managing /advising Nutrition-Sensitive development interventions or experience in design of household dietary diversity strategies and food recipes
About Cuso International
Cuso International is a development organization that works to reduce poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships and compassionate donors. We envision a world where all people are able to realize their potential, develop their skills and participate fully in society. We believe in the power of people, value diversity and take responsibility for our actions and proactively demonstrate that we work with and on behalf of others. Cuso International works in developing countries across the world. We currently have programs in eighteen countries.
About Our Partner
East Harrarghe Zonal Agriculture Department
East Harrarghe Zonal Agriculture Department operates in East Harrarghe Administrative Zone. East Harrarghe Administrative Zone is one of the 12 Administrative Zones of Oromia Regional State. It is situated at about 525 KM East of Addis Ababa. Harar, one of the oldest historical and tourist attraction city is the center of theadministrative zone. It is about nine-hour drive from Addis Ababa. There is also air transport from Addis Ababa to Dire Dawa, one of the biggest cities in the country which is 55 KM from Harar.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and
all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for assessment and training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to an assessment day, training course, international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
• Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These
arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
• Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.
Apply to placement:
View all our placements: