Food Services Worker
Job Classification Title
FOOD SERVICES WORKER
Long-Term Care Homes & Services
Food and Nutrition Services
To Be Determined
$22.75 - $24.92 / Hour
Hours of Work (bi-weekly)
Various Shifts - Days, Afternoons, Nights, and Weekends
L79 PT LTCH&S
Number of Positions Open
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Food Services Worker within our Long-Term Care Homes and Services Division.
NOTE TO CURRENT CITY OF TORONTO LOCAL 79 PART-TIME EMPLOYEES: If you are a current City of Toronto Local 79 part-time employee, you must indicate that you are a "Current Part-time employee" in the "Custom Information" section of your on-line application form, and provide your "Employee Number" in order to be considered for this job opportunity.
· Receives, checks, records, sorts, stores, issues and retrieves food, cleaning, paper and other supplies to and from proper storage areas
· Lifts and carries items and maintains storage and work areas
· Takes temperatures of refrigerators and freezers, reports temperatures that are not in the proper range and calibrates thermometers
· Checks and documents food for temperature, freshness and correct diet
· Refers to and utilizes information on residents' diets and food preferences
· Rotates food according to the first in, first out (FIFO) method and expiry dates and informs supervisor regarding stock
· Prepares food and beverages by cleaning, peeling, mincing, cutting, chopping, mixing, portioning, measuring ingredients, packaging, labelling, etc.
· Fills steam tables and steams, deep fries and rethermalizes food
· Loads carts with dishes, utensils, containers and trays necessary for service and delivers to dining and service areas
· Delivers food supplies and food to dining/serving and preparation areas and/or units
· Collects and disposes of/or saves leftovers and waste from these areas
· Serves food according to portion control guidelines
· Prepares dining areas by setting tables, filling condiment containers and delivering food to tables
· Assists in the setting up and serving of special functions
· Clears tables at completion of meals and wheels all dirty dishes and flatware, pots and pans to washing area
· Cleans and sanitizes kitchen equipment and appliances such as: meat slicers, mincers, choppers, mixers, ovens, deep fryers, steamers, skillets, etc.
· Washes, cleans and sanitizes all kitchen counters, tables, bins, refrigerators, freezers, garbage containers, dining room furniture, shelves, walls, carts, trolleys and any equipment used in the preparation of food and in serving areas
· Maintains and updates supplier contact information (e.g. address, phone number)
· Selects and mixes all required cleaning solutions according to WHMIS Legislation and Health and Safety Codes and wears PPE where indicated
· Washes all dishes, flatware, pots and pans using dishwashers and/or sink
· Checks and documents temperatures, ensuring an appropriate range for these activities
· Sorts and disposes of garbage according to the recycling program in effect
· Bags, removes and transports garbage to disposal areas
· Maintains garbage cans and bins in a clean and sanitary manner
· Cleans floors by sweeping, wet and dry mopping, or any other appropriate procedure for specific type of floor surface
· Notifies supervisor of necessary maintenance repairs and any unsafe conditions
· Follows recipes, directions and guidelines for the preparation of menu items
· Records shortages, overages, and overages at mealtimes and covers and dates any saved food items
· Locks doors, windows and/or rooms to ensure area is secure
· Attends staff and team meetings, committee meetings and in-service training as required
· Answers telephones and takes messages
· Occasionally provides assistance in the monitoring of client activities
· Provides information and works with appropriate staff for the well-being of the residents
· Participates with team to develop and implement Gentle Care plans
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
1. Completion of or enrolment in the Food Services Worker certificate program -OR- completion of or enrolment in the Post-Secondary diploma/degree in Food/Nutrition Management -OR- completion of Food and Nutrition degree -OR- members of the Canadian Society of Nutrition Management -OR- completion of a chef training or culinary management diploma/certificate -OR- cooks/chefs who have attained a diploma/certificate granted in another jurisdiction and has a set of skills that is equivalent -OR- cooks/chefs who have attained the Red Seal Program status; as required by the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007.
2. Experience preparing and/or serving food in a long-term care or other large-scale institution.
You must also have:
· Knowledge of Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Standards and ability to ensure compliance with these standards
· Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, the Sanitation Code and other relevant legislation
· Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions
· Ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with staff and residents
· Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations
· Ability to operate, lift and move various equipment, supplies and other heavy items
· Ability to perform various cleaning duties
· Willingness to work weekends, shifts and holidays as assigned
· Ability and willingness to provide a service that enhances the dignity and respects the diversity of residents
· Ability to obtain the Food Handler Program (One Day Course) as required by Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007
· Flexible and adaptable in a crisis situation - may be asked to work off-unit on short notice
· Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces
· Hours of Work can be up to 80 hours bi-weekly, however, Hours of Work will be decided based on operational needs.
· The Salary/Rate reflects the 2015 rates.
· As a condition of employment with the Long-Term Care Homes & Services Division, selected candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Police Reference Check (PRC) with vulnerable sector screening, tuberculosis screening and proof of immunization in accordance with the Long-Term Care Homes Act (O.Reg.79/10).
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Communication: Please note that we communicate to applicants via email. Therefore, please ensure that your email address is up to date in your TalentFlow account and resume, and that you check your email regularly.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy. You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.If you're interested in applying to this position, please visit www.toronto.ca/jobs, select "Current Opportunities, and then select the "Food Services Worker" position for Long-Term Care
1370 Don Mills Rd. Suite 300 Toronto, Ontario M3B 3N7 PHONE: 1-866-355-CSNM (2766) FAX: 416-441-0591 EMAIL: email@example.com
© Copyright CSNM 2017