Patient Food Services Supervisor - Claresholm, AB
Patient Food Services Supervisor
The Patient Food Services Supervisor reports to the Manager, Patient Food Services and is responsible for maintaining patient and staff/visitor food service operations at the site level. This position provides direction to front line workers and ensures that patients and residents receive the meals required to promote good health. As a key member of the Nutrition and Food Services team, you are responsible for leading and mentoring staff, promoting safe work environments, managing budgets, and implementing organizational and departmental initiatives.
Patient Food Supervisors may act a key contact to site administration and patient care for matters relating to Patient Food Services. This position routinely interacts with dietitians, health care staff, patients and their families. The Supervisor position is an introduction to the operations management stream and could lead to other opportunities within Nutrition and Food Services Management.
This position oversees food services at two locations in the welcoming rural community of Claresholm, Alberta, one hour south of Calgary: the Claresholm Centre for Mental Health and Addictions (CCMHA) and the Willow Creek Continuing Care Centre (WCCCC). Both facilities fall within the Calgary Zone of Alberta Health Services.
The Claresholm Centre for Mental Health and Addictions (CCMHA) is unique in the Calgary Zone. This is a 100 bed inpatient and community focused psychiatric rehabilitation centre. The Food Services department at CCMHA also provides meals to the 16-bed Claresholm General Hospital and Claresholm Meals on Wheels clients.
WCCCC is a 100-bed continuing care facility providing ‘aging in place’ care for residents whose needs are more complex.
The Town of Claresholm is located midway between Calgary and Lethbridge on Highway 2. It is 104 km south of Calgary and 90 km northwest of Lethbridge. Claresholm rests on the fringe of the most spectacular part of Alberta’s foothills, providing easy access to an endless number of mountain vistas and recreational opportunities.
- Post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate in Nutrition and Food Service Management required.
- A minimum of 3 years in a Patient Food Services/Health Care management role, ideally in an organization of significant size,
complexity and diversity.
- Combination of relevant education and experience will be considered.
- Safe Food Handling certification and WHMIS training are an asset.
- Proven organizational, time-management, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to ensure quality monitoring program and staff education/in-services are maintained.
- Communicates with patients, patient care units, managers and clinical dietitians.
- Must be reliable and capable of working under limited supervision and able to apply logical thinking and problem solving
to a range of situations.
- Competence in a computerized work environment.
- Hold staff meeting and one on one meetings.
- Ensure rotations and work assignments are available to staff and appropriate staffing levels are met.
- Ability to orientate and train new staff according to pre-determined standards
- Direct employees in proper food handling and sanitation techniques, kitchen safety, fire safety.
- Ensure that employees adhere to established policies and procedures.
- May undertake special projects as assigned by Patient Service Manager (e.g. scheduling, payroll).
- Anticipates and develops strategies for continual improvement of patient meal service quality and meal delivery system.
- Monitors the food products and food handling procedures for quality control, portion control and waste.
- Must maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Supervisory, leadership, coaching and conflict management skills are essential.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
- Be reliable, co-operative, well-organized and demonstrate initiative.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Note: This position requires a vehicle for business use. Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a motor vehicle in good repair for work-related travel is required.
Interested Candidates can send their resumés to:
Donna Kubista, Manager, Patient Food Services Calgary Rural Zone